This little slice of heaven located off the coast of Belize is a destination that you cannot miss when heading to Belize. Before traveling to Belize, I read many articles and blogs about places to visit and things to do in Belize. A lot of the articles I read said to only spend a couple of days in Caye Caulker, I was skeptical to spend a week there. Many people said there was not a lot to do in Caye Caulker… Well, I beg to differ. I spent a week there and I could spend another week there easily.
So, here are 16 things that you can do when visiting Caye Caulker…
1. Bike around the island- it is a small island and is very easy to bike around. Just make sure not to bike to fast, this island is known for “going slow.” So, go slow and take in the culture of the island on your bike ride. Anyways, if you bike too fast, your bike ride will be over before you know it.
2. Chill out on one of the docks in a hammock and enjoy the beautiful views. This was something that I never got sick of doing!
3. Spend the day at The Lazy Lizard drinking and tanning at The Split- years ago, a hurricane made split between the two halves of Caye Caulker. Since this is known as a hang out spot for travelers, it is a good spot to meet new friends!
4. Go snorkeling or diving! Since Belize has the second largest barrier reef in the world, a trip to Belize is not complete without checking out the underwater world.
5. Swim with manatees- this is one thing that I did not do, but really wanted to do. Just make sure you find an ethical company that doesn’t feed or touch the manatees.
6. Hang out at one of the many bars on the island and meet new friends!
7. Dance to reggae music and live up the rasta style of the island at the Reggae Bar
8. Try a coconut- locals around the island pick coconuts and cut them up for you. There is nothing like fresh coconut water on the beach!
9. Spend half of the day volunteering at the animal shelter- some hotels or Airbnb’s even offer discounts for those that volunteer there.
10. Try lobster if it is in season! From June 15th to February 15th, you can have some of the best (and most fresh) lobster in the world. So, if you like seafood, lobster in Belize is a must!
11. Snorkel with sharks and sting rays! Between one of my dive trips we stopped at shark and sting ray alley to snorkel and it was AMAZING.
12. Dive the Blue Hole- one of the most iconic adventures of Belize is only a boat ride away. You must have an advanced certification to be able to swim through the stalactites, but even with an open water certification you are able to see them.
13. Now that you dove the Blue Hole… fly over it with Tropic Air. I won’t lie, this is one of the more expensive activities. However, it is 100% worth it. Flying over the Blue Hole was one of my absolute favorite things about my trip to Belize. And the views were incredible!
14. Take a golf cart taxi ride- there are very few cars on this island, your main mode of transportation is a golf cart or a bike!
15. Rent a paddle board or kayak and explore the island from the water! This is a good activity for those that like to get a little work out while enjoying the beautiful views.
16. Hang out with the locals- they are some of the nicest people I’ve met! Learn about the culture and remember to go slow!
Caye Caulker is an island that you must visit!